There is nothing more stressful than selling your house, especially selling in the Winter when the roads are slippery, views are blanketed in snow and trees are bare. But not everyone can wait until the spring market when a flurry of homes bombard the market! For this same reason, this is one advantage of selling in the colder months of the year!
Buyers looking for a property at this time are more serious and tend not to waste time sitting on the fence. They will only view the houses they are serious about. After all, who wants to spend their days driving around on slippery roads, getting in and out of the cold, removing dirty footwear and bulky jackets? So if your property is one of the lucky ones that have a showing scheduled, be sure it is up to par.
Here are some tips to help you sell your house this winter:
1. Clear snow and ice from driveway and walkways around your home - This is the top tip from agents. This makes the prospective buyers feel comfortable when walking into your property. It also shows the house is well cared for and maintained, both interior AND exterior.
2. Make it warm and cozy - It's cold outside. Make the entrance to your home an inviting one by placing candles near the entrance, maybe a nice wreath on the door and turn up the heat. Have a mat setup for buyers to place their dirty shoes and then walk onto a nice clean surface. If you are leaving for the showing and coming back right after, turn on the fireplace for them and have some warm cookies and maybe a hot chocolate dispenser to warm them up during their tour of your home. This will make them feel more at home and comfortable - something they will never forget!
3. Take advantage of glows from lamp - There is something warm and inviting about looking at a property from a distance in the winter and seeing the yellow glow of a lamp shining through the window. The yellow glow offers a cozy ambiance that is both calming and warm. So make sure you keep all those lamps on for the showing.
4. Play soft music in the background - Create an atmosphere by playing soothing classical music or Christmas music very quietly in the background.
5. Make it festive - Greet potential buyers with holiday flowers, scents and set the table for an elegant dinner. But don't go overboard with the decorations - you don't want it to look tacky!
6. Consider the area - In some areas of the city, winter weather can actually be a selling point! If you live near COP for example, make note of the fact that you are just minutes from skiing at COP or approximately an hour to Banff and Sunshine.
Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions.
By Mona Kapoor